Trabzon is a town with over 230,000 people (2009 census – it is currently believed to be over 300,000) on the northeast Turkish Black Sea coast at latitude 41°00′ north and longitude 39°45′ east (Figure 1). It is the second largest Turkish urban centre (after Samsun) on the Black Sea.
Sivas which is known by Greeks as Sevasteia (Gr: Σεβάστεια) was in earlier times called Suvaz and was an ancient Pontic town and now a seat of a prefecture in Turkey. The town was built at the foot of Mount Paryadris (Gr) and 2km from the Ali/Halys River (Tr: Kizilirmak).
Historically, the single- and double-headed eagle emblems signified major symbols of power. Their origin is from Mesopotamia in the 4th millennium BC and later in the 2nd millennium BC they were used by the Hittites in Anatolia.
Santa (Gr: Σάντα, Tr: Dumanli) was a Greek town in Pontus in the province of Argyroupolis (Gümüşhane) situated 52km south east of Trabzon. Prior to 1923 it was made up of 7 settlements and was inhabited entirely by Greeks, approximately 6,000 in number.
Anatolia College, Merzifon was a high school, theological seminary, orphanage and hospital founded in 1864 in the town of Merzifon in the Amasya province of Asia Minor (today Turkey). The origins of the college can be traced to Bebek, a suburb of Constantinople, where in 1840 the original school was started by American missionary Cyrus Hamlin.
The former Greek Orthodox monastery of the Virgin Mary, Soumela (Plate 1) is 48 km south Trabzon via Machka in Turkey. The monastery is perched on the cliff face of Karadağ (Mount Mela in English), nearly 300 metres above the west bank of a tributary of the Degirmen Dere (Mill River) in the Altindere National Park.
Kotyora (Ordu in Turkish) is a seaside town which dates back to Ancient times. There is a reference in Homer's Iliad in which it is referred to as Kitoros. In ancient times and before the Persians. the town enjoyed it's own independence, as it did during the reign of the Kingdom of Pontus.
Kerasunda (historically Kerasus, today Giresun) like most of the Greek settlements along the Pontic coastline was established by Sinope. It was founded around the 6th century BC. In 183 BC it was renamed Pharnacia in honor of Pharnaces the King of Pontus who took Kerasunda after capturing Sinope.
Tokat (Gr: Τοκάτη) is a town and province in the western region of Pontus. It was also referred to as Tokation (Gr: Τοκάτιον). During the Byzantine era it was known as Evdokiada (Gr: Eυδοκιάδα). During Ottoman times the name Tokat was the name of the district and sanjak which the town was situated in. It was sometimes called Dokia (Gr: Δόκεια).
Amisos, otherwise known as Samsunta by Greeks, is today’s Samsun, a city situated on the shoreline of the historic region of Pontus, in today’s Turkey. The name Samsunta is derived from Amisos; Eis Amison (towards Amisos) -> s’Amison -> s’Amson -> Samsunta.
Argyroupoli (Gr: Αργυρούπολη, Tr: Gümüşhane) is a city located 80 km south of Trabzon in Pontus (north eastern Turkey), and was the home town of the historic province of Chaldia. The city was established around 700 BC as the settlement of Thyra (Gr: Θύρα) by Ionian Greeks who first discovered silver in the region.